Avoid Black Hat SEO for Long Term Benefits / Five Ways to Avoid Black Hat SEO
Black hat search engine optimization is a series of unethical techniques or methods employed to increase the overall website ranking by unfair or unlawful means. The techniques categorized under this term were once considered legitimate. However, due to exploitation of search engine weaknesses by a few webmasters, the practices are now forbidden in the cyber world.
Black hat SEO provides high website ranking instantly, but not without high risk. Contrary to black hat SEO, White hat SEO is a term used to refer to all the lawful and permitted techniques for SEO.
A few of the main features of Black Hat SEO are:
- It is against the rules set by search engines
- It fails to provide good user experience
- It tricks the search engine spider
Why Should You Avoid Black Hat SEO?
It provides short term benefits which soon perish. Search engines have special algorithms used for website ranking. Once a search engine discovers any prohibited SEO technique on your website, it immediately removes your page from its list of rankings. To regain your webpage importance, once it is banned by a search engine, is extremely difficult.
How to Avoid Black Hat SEO
If you want to aim for long term benefits, you should try to avoid black hat SEO. This can be done by making sure you do not end up implementing any of the prohibited methods. Therefore, you should have awareness about the following black hat SEO techniques and should never try to attempt to apply them for the purpose of raising your webpage ranking.
- Keyword Stuffing: random repetition of irrelevant keywords on your website, especially when their usage is not required, is known as keyword stuffing. It is one of the oldest methods used for attracting search engine spider towards your webpage. Keyword stuffing can be used in website content, meta or alt tags or even as invisible text. You should always use the keywords that are relevant to your webpage content and have coherence with the main subject.
- Hidden Text: anything not visible to the viewer, but can be seen by search engines is called hidden text. This can be done by either making the font size of the text extremely small or by making its color match exactly with the background. All famous search engines now have methods to discover such tricks, so you should avoid these by not having any hidden text on your page. Make all the content useful and visible to all viewers.
- Redirect Pages: pages made to bluff the users and take them to a new page are called redirect pages. These pages are usually made to enhance website linkage. A redirect page provides no interesting content. It’s just a way of inviting search spider to the page. This page is not even included in the navigation map of the real website.
- Duplicate Web Pages: making a number of websites or web pages with the same content is called creating duplicate pages. Each page/website made usually contains a different keyword being targeted. The content can be copied from one website and pasted on another. Search engines do not go into the details of which site contains the original content and which once contains the copied content. So, make sure the content of your website is unique in every way.
- Bad Linking: linking is very important for SEO. You need to make sure the webpage you link to is ethical and has not used any prohibited SEO technique. Any bad link can make your webpage ranking fall drastically. So, to avoid such downfall, ensure that the links you are about to add to your page are genuinely indexed by search engines and do not lead to a spam page.
The above are few of the major ways to avoid black hat SEO. Black hat SEO is just a short term benefit and in the long run, corrodes the website.