Tutorial How to Improve My Website User Experience

Discussion in 'Website Management' started by shek, Jul 20, 2013.

1. shek

shek Active Member

Let me start this tutorial with a question. What do you think is the most important factor for a website to be successful? Did you said content or SEO? If your answer to my second second was yes, then I regretfully say to you, that I partially agree with you guys. The most important factor for a blog or a site to be popular is it's User eXperience. It is because when a visitors comes to your site, he/she notices your site design. If site design (one of the aspect of UX) is bad and your site is SEO optimized and has brilliant content, then your site bounce rate will be high! It is because people hate things which are not pleasant to their eyes or the things they see aren't useful.
    UX.jpg
    UX is not same UI! In other words, User Interface is subset or a part of UX. Other than UI, UX includes performance, page load time, trust, navigation, etc. For more info on what user experience consists of, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_experience. So, when you have all these in place, you will see high returns. If you are looking for high conversion rate and user satisfaction, then this is the perfect tutorial for you. Just scroll down to understand tricks you need to improve your site User eXperience.
    • Use Clean Navigation: Clean navigation means user shouldn't struggle for finding what he/she is trying to look, access or read in your site. Most users like one click action methodology. It means if I do a click, I should get what I'm looking for. So, you should design your site navigation such that user has to do minimal clicks to reach to his destination page. Never give ambiguous options to users in navigation. It confuses users and they might not come back to your site in future.
      navigation.jpg
    • Have Search Feature: This point goes along with previous point. I mean when user can't find what he/she is looking than they should have an option of searching that website through some search query. It also, means you need to use keywords & tags in your site carefully. As search result will depend on how you have wrote your article.
      Search feature.JPG
    • Webpage Visibility: Visit http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/ and check what google says about your web design and visibility of content. It is one of the best tool for understanding what is visible to user and what is not. If you have google analytic account, then you can see similar results there, as this tool is integrated with google analytic recently.
      google labs browsersize.png
    Tutorial on improving UX doesn't end here. I'll comeback with more points, which can help you in improving overall user experience for your site, in next installment of this tutorial series. So, stay tuned to Webmaster Tutorials. :)
  2. angie828

angie828 Contributing Member

There are so many people that need to read this. Thanks Shek it was informative.
  3. MikeQ

MikeQ Junior Member

Exactly, we should work on user experience mainly.. if our site is OK from user points of view then it would be good popularity in short period of time.
  4. Miken34

Miken34 Active Member

I agree 100% Shek! Nice job buddy.
  5. tionna

tionna Active Member

Great job. I know that user experience is so important, everyone should read this!
  6. ralph101

ralph101 Junior Member

User experience is very important. I agree this needs to be shared.
  7. shek

shek Active Member

8. angie828

angie828 Contributing Member

9. tangee

tangee Active Member

User experience is very important. without the user you really do not have much of a site.
  10. loulou

loulou Junior Member

Nice post. Great read very important.
  11. haleystar

haleystar New Member

12. twilight

twilight Active Member

Nice, very nice. Keep up the good work.
  13. evie

evie Active Member

User experience is so important. It is what keeps those coming back.