Tutorial How to optimize Article of a wordpress blog - Part 2

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by shek, Jun 19, 2013.

1. shek

shek Active Member

In this tutorial I'll continue from part - 1 (http://www.seoclerks.com/forum/threads/how-to-optimize-article-of-a-wordpress-blog-part-1.2604/). In other words, I'll talk about tricks and tip to optimize description of an article. Title is like outer wrapper to description. If user/visitor likes outer cover than only visitor will see or read what is inside that wrapper. So, I assume after reading first installment of this tutorial everyone understand how they can give proper title for a article. Before I start explaining about ways to optimize a description, let me discus about what does a description mean and it's importance in SEO.
    article seo_1.PNG
    Description is heart of an article. If article doesn't contain description then article is dead (useless). If heart isn't functioning properly then you can't be healthy and prosperous, that is, if description is not well written or not optimized then you website will suffer. I've seen many sites, which has great and eye-catchy title, but they don't do well. The reason behind it is, they don't have good content ! Just imagine, if you go to a site with very high expectation and then you see many grammatical mistakes or content isn't good enough. Will you go to that site again ? or will you read that article till the end ? No, right ? It will increase your bounce rate ! In my previous tutorials I've already discussed about disadvantage of high bounce rate. So, make sure your article description is well written and optimized.
    description.png
    Now, I guess you understand what does a description mean for an article and it's importance in SEO or for growth of a site. Let me share few tips which will help you to write optimized description for an article on your/others blog.
    • Understand Search Engine : Every search engine has there own algorithm to index and rank a article. I don't mean understand their algorithm, as it is hidden from us. I'm telling you to observe ! Some search engines uses metadata tags to access relevant content. So, start using meta description.
      search engines.jpg
    • Customize Meta Description : By default, All in One SEO plugin will put first few sentences of your article in meta description tag. But first few sentences can be introductory part of your article, so it will not be useful for SEO. You have write your own meta description tag which will have keywords and repeating keyword phrases.
    • Know Your Keywords : You have to keep on adding new keywords which are related to your site/blog niche. Use keywords quite often in your article. Whenever you add new keyword, try to use it more often than older keywords, as old keywords are already indexed by search engines. Now, you want to attract users using newer keywords.
      keywords.PNG
    • Reiterate keywords : Your article description should contain at least 20% of keyword density. Use keyword phrases repeatedly in your description. You don't have to repeat same word/phrase, you can use synonyms of a word and use that phrase/keyword. For example, in this tutorial mostly I reiterate optimizing article description. It is a keyword phrase for this tutorial.
      reiterate.PNG
      Note: Make sure you don't go beyond 30% of keyword density, otherwise it is considered as blackhat and search engines might punish you for that.
    • Use Long Keyword Phrases : With new penguin 2.0 update, you have to choose your keyword phrase wisely. Earlier short 2-3 word keywords used to yield great results, but after the latest improvement a keyword phrase with 4-5 words have an edge ! So, try to concentrate on long keywords which make proper sentence.
      long keywords.PNG
    • Understand Internet user Psychology : Internet users tend to search specific phrases, but not abstract words. For example, user would search "How to optimize my wordpress blog article" or "tricks to improve my article writing". Most user don't search with a query like "wordpress blog optimize article". It is broken phrase were user is typing only keywords to look for article. So, make sure you don't write broken phrase which looks good for robot or crawler.
      customer viibility seo.PNG
    • Don't Over use Font Colors : If a article is using many colors, then people might say it is colorful and looking good to eyes. But the fact is, not many people like many colors in a well written article. So, try not to use many colors while writing an article. Use them optimally.
    • Highlight Keywords : Whenever you use keyword in your description try to quote it or make it look bold. You can do it by using bold (<b>) or quote (<quote>) tag. Also, try to use h3/h4 tags for very very important keywords in a description.
      highlight.jpg
    • Avoid Keyword Stuffing : Keyword stuffing is technique were user repeats his/her keyword for more than 40-50% of the times ! That means, every alternate word will be a keyword. It doesn't make sense to do it, as viewers will not like reading a article which is written in this way and search engines like google and bing can catch these tricks ! They can punish your site for using keyword stuffing trick.
      keyword stuffing.jpg
    • Never Hide Keywords : Some webmasters, tend to use same color for there font and background, that is make text invisible to user. Mostly these hidden text has keywords. It does help you in increasing keyword density in an article, but it is considered as illegal and bad practice in SEO. So, try to avoid using same color for foreground and background.
    Optimizing your article for SE will greatly increase its chance of being viewed and/or cited in other's work. It means you might get FREE backlinks. I hope this article was useful and had something new for you to learn about optimizing an article in your blog. I'll come back with last part (optimizing images in a blog) of this triology soon. So, stay tuned !!
  2. MikeQ

MikeQ Junior Member

Thanks for the good tutorial on optimizing an article on Wordpress.

We need to do strong on-page optimization to win the competition today.
  3. shek

shek Active Member

You have to be strong in both, onpage and offpage optimization ! If you ignore one or the other then you might not find place in bing or google :|. In short, SEO = onpage SEO + offpage SEO :)
  4. angie828

angie828 Contributing Member

Excellent point. I do not think that many do realize this.
  5. evie

evie Active Member

Very nice post. To the point and informative. I got lots out of it.
  6. Miken34

Miken34 Active Member

Thanks for the great post.
  7. brownie

brownie Active Member

Great read, everyone should read this.
  8. loulou

loulou Junior Member

Awesome read! Love your tutorials.